Saturday, August 17, 2013

Jacob and I have been sick with a stomach bug. Jacob has had it worse : diarrhea for the past three days, vomiting, a horrible rotten egg smell. I woke up to the horrid stench Thursday morning. Looked at Jacob and the poor child was covered in vomit, and was still asleep. His bed is still in my room, and I should have heard him but didn't.

This is the fourth time Jacob has had these symptoms within the past six months. The first two times Joshua was sick as well, and that was a horrible mess! At one point he left a trail through the living room, up the stairs, and into the bathroom. The third time only Jacob was sick, and this time Jacob and I.

I had chronic diarrhea myself for at least eight months. I was blaming it on various things: lactose, gluten, maybe diabetes, or possibly irritable bowel. Finally forced myself to visit a doctor. A stool test was positive for C. Diff. After the antibiotics, the diarrhea stopped, for the most part. As Jacob kept having these bouts, I had his pediatrician test him. She tested for multiple microbes - C Diff, Giardia, and others. They were all negative. So... I have no clue what keeps making us sick.

With the latest bout Jacob, Joshua and I all have stuffy noses, sneezing and coughing, but only Jacob and I have had the stomach problems. We have been trying probiotics - Garden of Life's brand - but so far not a whole lot of help from them.

1 comment:

  1. Very weird. Joshua and I did the the cold symptoms, but none of the stomach problems. It seems both of you are very sensitive in that way.

    Thank God Joshua doesn't get sick with it that often. When he gets the runs...AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

    ReplyDelete